SKILLS FUTURE CLAIMABLE
Buttercream is the most popular type of frosting for cakes and cupcakes. Having a “go-to” buttercream recipe will prove very useful for both amateur bakers and professionals alike. In this two-day course, students will be learning about the three different kinds of buttercream that are most commonly used in the industry; discussing the different techniques, tastes and textures of each.
We will be discussing the concept of flavouring and colouring of buttercream i.e. what kind of colours are complementary and conflicting using the colour wheel and what kind of flavouring is best used with buttercream.
Subsequently, students will be learning the practical application of buttercream by having a hands-on session on frosting and piping techniques using our in-house Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe. By practicing and mastering these techniques, students will be able to open doors of endless possibilities in the world of cake decorating.
Come join us for an informative and hands-on course on the basics of buttercream!
By attending this course, you will learn:
Day One (4 hours):
Introduction and orientation
Discussion and hands-on the three different types of buttercream
- American Buttercream
- French Buttercream
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Colour concepts and flavours
- Difference between extracts, essence, paste, concentrate, flavour
- Using the colour wheel to determine complementary colours
- Using colouring to achieve colour of choice
Day Two (5 hours):
Basic frosting using Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Cake layering
- Crumb coating
- Side piping technique
- Using bench scraper to achieve straight sides
- Smoothing and levelling of buttercream
- Finish off with crisp and sharp edges
Piping and frosting techniques (Choose 1 Only)
- Watercolour swirls
- Ombre effect
Summary and conclusion
- Certificate presentation
- Photo taking
All materials will be provided.
Class Duration: Over 2 days, Day 1 (4 hours) + Day 2 (5 hours)
Class Type: Decoration
Bring home a 6-inch Buttercream Frosted Cake, with either an ombré or watercolour swirl design.
Do note that preparation and mixing of ingredients will be done in pairs while assembly of cake will be individual work.
Please read our Terms and Conditions before you proceed to register for the class.
- Duration of class might be extended instead of the stipulated timings.
- Cleaning/Washing will be part of the baking experience.
- Fees for scheduled classes must be paid fully in advance to secure your booking. Your booking is only confirmed once full payment has been received.
- Once your booking is confirmed, no refunds or transfers to another class will be given.
- Payment will be fully forfeited regardless of the unforeseen circumstances. We recommend that you arrange for someone to attend in your place. Please inform us of the person who will be attending in your place.
- In the event that the minimum number of participants is not met, the class will be cancelled. We will inform you via email. You can choose to either get a refund of the class fee or attend another class of the same value.